Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

I like night photography despite the fact that I don't have a good enough tripod for my DSLR or my Pen, and I was really excited when there was a night tour for Changdeokgung. Unfortunately I was unable to get the slots for April and May and was really devastated when I knew about it.


Gwanghwamun 광화문 at sunset

I think everything happens for a reason and I found out about the Gyeongbokgung extended hours before the event ended, and at a much cheaper price (compared to the Changdeokgung night tour)! And so I went last Saturday despite being really worn out after a week of touristy affairs.
Gyeongbokgung 경복궁 景福宮
22, Sajik-ro 9-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul 서울특별시 종로구 사직로9길 22 (필운동)
How to get there:
Gyeongbokgung Palace Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 5 or Gwanghwamun Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 2.
Operating Hours:
January-February, November-December: 09:00-17:00
March-May, September-October: 09:00-18:00
June-Auguest: 09:00-18:30
* Last admission: 1 hr before closing.
* Operating hours are subject to change depending on circumstances.
Closed - Tuesdays
Prices: Admission fees are the same as they are during the day: adults 3,000 won, children (18 years and younger) 1,500 won, seniors (65 years and older) free.

The sun sets at 7plus during spring, and the longer day encouraged the extended opening hours to 10pm.  I reached Gwanghwamun at about 6pm to catch the golden hour, and ended up eating koufta from Gabon  as there was a food fair at Gwanghwamun square.
Statue of General Yi Sun Shin (이순신|李舜臣) at Gwanghwamun Square (광화문광장)


Statue of King Sejong the Great (세종대왕|世宗大王) at Gwanghwamun Square

Gabon Koufta

Enjoying the food and the view

Palace colours under the lights

Only some areas of the palace were open to public from 6.30pm to 10pm, but I think it was sufficient for beautiful night scenery. Lighted areas included Gwanghwamun (Gate), Heungnyemun (Gate), Geunjeongmun (Gate), Geunjeongjeon (Hall), Sujeongjeon (Hall), and Gyeonghoeru (Pavilion).

The queue at the ticket box

Visitors trying to get out of the palace through the 2 gates

The crowd was kind of crazy since the extended hours is only for 5 days in May and it was a weekend, but just take your time to exit and it's all fine.

Gwanghwamun

The night view really amazed me as it's so beautiful!

The extended hours will happen again in autumn, so look out for it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    wow Gyeongbukgong is so beautiful at night! I went in the morning last time in the winter with bright blue skies just as beautiful but I wouldnt mind going in the evening! How do you find out the extended opening hours in Autumn as I will be going in november. thanks for your help and great job on the blog (currently reading through it now!) Lia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lia, thank you for visiting my blog! (: I found out about the hours through the visitkorea website (http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto). I believe they will announce the dates soon! From what I've heard from my Korean friends, the extended hours for Autumn in 2012 was during the October period.

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib