Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Spring 2013 was one of my best memories ever. Having lived in a tropical country for almost 30 years, I'm glad that I can say that I've stayed in a city with 4 seasons. Moreover, a city where fangirling is norm!

Although the love for Korea started because of the kpop sensation, I fell in love with Korea after watching Korean dramas and variety shows, and I really wanted to learn more about its language, history and culture. What better way than to stay with a local family and studying the language in home grounds? But if you want to learn the language by yourself, go to Talk to Me in Korean! It's a great learning website for beginners with podcasts and free pdf lessons!

There are many families in Korea providing homestay opportunities for both tourists and students. Since I was studying at Seoul National University in Gwanak gu, I went to find a homestay opportunity at the Gwanak-gu website. Let them know your stay period and they will offer a few options for you to choose from.

I wanted to interact with a family with children around my age, and fortunately I found the best host family ever! You can also find it on airbnb.
My host parents are the loveliest hosts, I call them imo and samchon. My host mum's name is Han Eun-kyung. My host mum speaks English so fear not, for those who can't speak Korean. My host dad speaks little English, but he's always trying to learn some English phrases, and always so witty and funny! Unlike the typical stern image of the Korean men you see in dramas, my host dad is a very caring father figure and helps out in the kitchen as well. And he cooks delicious al dente ramyeon! They have a daughter slightly younger than me and she's just like my real little sister! Even my parents think we look alike!
Staying with a host family allows you to find out more about the typical Korean lifestyle, and nothing is better than home-cooked Korean food! My host mum is a great cook and I'm always very very full after meals!
Simple things like sitting on the heated floor watching tv with the family while eating fruits and snacks (such as fried chicken), this is something different from the Singaporean lifestyle.
Easter eggs that Imo prepared for my classmates
Sandwich breakfast on weekends
More of Imo's menu :)
Hearty breakfast, not for the faint-hearted! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and we really eat like kings and queens!
Mungbean pancake made by me!
One of my favourites! Bibim noodles!
Another one of my favourites! Pumpkin porridge!!
With the amount I ate, I'm glad I did lots of walking, if not, I cannot imagine the weight gain!

One thing I really like about Koreans is how environmentally friendly they are. Garbage is split into non-recyclables, food waste, and recyclables by categories. Though I was not really used to it at first, I think it's a good lifestyle for a better environment.
Trip to Hanok village
Hanbok wearing
Because of my host family, I also got to experience jjimjilbang, hiking, day trips out of Seoul, how to make kimbap and pancakes, and eating at authentic local eateries, among others. These are precious experiences that I would have missed if I were staying on my own.
Kimbap making
Kimbap made by me!
Leaving the comforts of my host family was one of the hardest things I had to do in Seoul, and I didn't expect the attachment I'd have. However, I wanted to experience staying in a one-room by myself, which is another good experience I had! Will blog about it soon!
With my host mum at SNU
My host mum owns a guesthouse in Yeouido as well, a pretty studio apartment with toilet and kitchen facilities. You can find the accommodation on airbnb. It's a stone's throw from the metro station, and has a pretty night view of Yeouido. Check it out here if you are in Seoul for holiday or short / long term stay.
View of Yeouido from the guest house, taken by Lin Hui
Also because of my host family, I found out how pretty cherry blossoms are at night too! It was a random impromptu trip to the Yeouido guesthouse plus the vicinity where cherry blossoms are aplenty! 
Selca with my host parents
My host parents also do home parties for their guests from time to time, and I had the honour of attending one even though I already moved out.
Delicious home-cooked food made by my host mum!
With Jae Eun, Lin Hui (guest from China), and my humorous host dad who photobombed our photo! :)

Getting to know my host family is one of the greatest things that happened during my Seoul trip, and I'm happy to be part of their family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib