Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Penang is a colourful Malaysian city that is rich in multicultural heritage. The city is known for its colonial buildings, Chinese shophouses, wall murals and of course, its food such as tambun biscuit (tau sar piah).

Penang has changed so much since my first and last trip 10 years ago. I was there for training with a bunch of fresh graduates, and somehow the food didn't impress me much. This trip left me craving Penang food so much, and I'll never see Penang food (in Singapore) in the same light again!

Excited Little V before we departed
We flew to Penang via Jetstar. Little V was a bit fussy when we had to put the infant seatbelt on her, but fell asleep as soon as the plane took off. There's no bassinet available on the flight, and the seats were definitely more cramped compared to that of a full service airline. I was thankful for the adjustable armrest though, since I had a bit more space to navigate when the armrest was up.
The flight took about 1.5 hours, and prior to the flight I have already decided it was best to catch a taxi from the airport because we don't have to wait too long, we have too many luggages, and the prices are fixed so there's no haggling required. We probably should have called a 6-seater Grabcar or Uber though, on second thoughts.

Airport taxi coupon - We were staying at an airbnb apartment in Georgetown and it costed RM 44.70 to get there.
On the way to Georgetown



We stayed at a shophouse turned airbnb apartment in Georgetown, and the location was very convenient! It's walking distance from 3 malls (about 10mins walk), or RM5 for grab. There's also night hawkers (about 7pm to 10pm) just one street away, selling totally delicious oyster omelette and lor bak! The hosts were nice and checking in and out was easy and fuss-free. The rooms are located on the second storey so it may be a little inconvenient if you have huge luggages or are travelling with elderly or kids, but it was a comfortable stay for us. Just watch where your toddler is going! 

Airbnb link: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/8094180?s=51  

Lor Bak from Presgrave Night Hawkers
I was down with fever the second day and my hubby packed food for me! 


Ee Mee

Oyster Omelette - I swear the oysters were so fresh and juicy!

Lor Bak with the sauce

If you are a tau sar piah lover like me, there's a shop just 2 streets away. The pandan tau sar piah are very fragrant. You can ask for samples to try if you want.


Automated packing machine

Tau sar piahs!! 


Weather is really hot and humid in Penang, just like in Singapore. As far as possible we try to hand carry Little V in case she gets too hot in the carrier. But she enjoyed being back carried and even fell asleep despite the strong heat! 

Food trucks spotted in Georgetown



One of the popular things to do in Georgetown is to find the murals! Although I was anticipating to find most if not all the murals, I didn't manage to take photo with that one mural I was longing to find! Here's a valid reason to go back again!








Yes this is the kids on bicycle mural that I was looking forward to take photos with! However when we reached there was a couple taking wedding photos, it was drizzling, and Little V was fast asleep in the carrier. I decided to continue walking thinking that we will walk back again. I was wrong!! But now I got a reason to go back again!! 
Oh this looks like fat cat mat in badanamu.. haha! Yes that's my sleeping toddler behind my back.


Although I didn't get the chance to take a photo with the kids on bicycle, I managed to take a photo on a real bicycle. Would have been perfect if Little V was awake!! 

Our first food stop was Joo Hooi Cafe, and the best in my opinion! 


This is probably my favourite of the trip. Curry mee!! This photo was taken before mixing in the chilli, in case you are thinking how come the noodles don't look like curry mee. In my opinion this is way better than Sister's Curry Mee at Air Itam. 

Assam Laksa

Shun Kueh, Yam Cake - I think they were so-so only but my hubby enjoyed the yam cake (and he doesn't eat yam in Singapore!)

The popiah was not worth the calories (and popiah is one of my favourite favourite foods so I'm rarely biased)

Char Kway Teow! It was so yummy I can't remember how many more plates we ordered!

Cendol is the perfect dessert for the hot weather! No sharing please! Tip: if you are seated in the coffee shop, you can order directly from one of the uncles and skip queuing!


We were seated at the corner of the coffee shop near the road so it wasn't so cramped and hot! I had to fight off some aunties who wanted to snatch our table though. 

If you are bringing a toddler like what I did, there's no high chairs available. So, it's time to show off that mummy juggling act! One hand and leg holding toddler, the other hand eating the yummy food while trying to prevent your toddler from snatching your food! Best if your food is served on a spoon by your hubby or fellow travellers so that you don't miss out on the good food, like mine! 

Here's Little V signing off! Bye~~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib