Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

One of those days when I felt like walking a lot. Holidays were almost over too and I wanted to travel out of Seoul! Suwon was my choice for a day trip! Suwon is easily accessible by the Seoul subway line 1. It took me about 1.5 hours to reach there from Seoul National University station.

While I was researching on Suwon (수원/水原), I was worried about travelling around since the attractions are not that close to each other. The good thing is, you can use tmoney for the buses (1,050krw)!
The places I went to:
- D: Confucian school (Buses 11 and 13)
- A: Paldalmun (Buses 11 13 36 39)
- B: Hwaseong Museum
- C: Hwaseong Haenggung
- Hwaseong Fortress (basically the perimeter of the map)
From Suwon station, exit from exit 1 and you can find the tourist information centre.
If you turn left and walk straight for about 50m, you'll find the bus stop where you can take buses to Suwon Hyang Gyo and Paldalmun (buses 13, 16, 36, 39).

Suwon Hyang Gyo (수원향교)
I went to the Confucian school first and got off at the Confucian school bus stop. They announce the stops in English so just listen for it. Unfortunately the school was locked and I was only able to take photos from outside the gate. It's much smaller than the one I visited in Jeonju.
Random wall near the school
Something I really like about Suwon is the nicely decorated railings, lamp posts, grounds, etc with the historic feel!
Bus stop at paldalmun to take the bus back to Suwon station
Paldalmun 팔달문

Hwaseong Museum (수원화성박물관)
Address: 21, Changnyong-daero, Paldal-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 수원시 팔달구 창룡대로 21 (매향동)

There's a combined ticket for a few attractions so do get that if you plan for a whole day in Suwon. The ticket allows you entry to Suwon Hwaseong Museum, Suwon History Museum, Hwaseong Haenggung and Hwaseong Fortress (though I still have no idea why entrance fee is required for the fortress which is open to public anyway).

There's 2 levels of exhibitions. On the first floor, you can find exhibits on the restoration of paldalmun.

Hwaseong Haenggung (화성행궁)
Address: Namchang-dong, Paldal-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do 경기 수원시 팔달구 남창동 화성행궁
Filming location: Dae Jang Geum (大长今), Love in the Moonlight (Moonlight Drawn by Clouds) (구르미 그린 달빛)
You can find costumes that was worn in the drama Dae Jang Geum (大长今).

There's a wishing tree too! Just write your wish and tie it to the mythical tree!
In Japan, when you get a bad lot, you tie the lot to the tree / wall.
In Korea, you tie your wish to the tree / wall.
Costumes from Daejanggeum
Interesting art piece found outside the palace. No Singapore though!
Taxi for tourists
Hwaseong Fortress wall graffiti art 
Hwaseong Fortress (수원 화성) UNESCO World Heritage Site
I left hwaseong fortress as the last stop of my trip as I wanted to walk around the whole fortress during sunset. The weather was cooling enough for a relaxing walk / climb around the fortress! If walking is not for you, you can take the tram around part of the fortress as well.

I'll definitely recommend that you take a walk around part of the fortress, as you are able to see the walled city from the fortress (:
Love the design of the carriages!
This is the start of the fortress trek. Daunting as it may seem, it is actually fine after the initial flight of steps. Definitely more relaxing than the Seoul fortress where the climbs never seemed to end!
Another series of steps, and this time round, for an aerial view of the city!

 North floodgate along the fortress
Pavilion near the north floodgate
If you are in the mood, go for archery! Cast of 2 days 1 night has been here before.
 A historic walled city is not complete without a market for the locals. I didn't get the chance to walk around the market though since it was quite late by the time I finished my trek.

Go to the shopping streets next to Suwon station if you have time. Rows of restaurants and retail shops for you to choose from!
 Unfortunately for me, I went alone and did not have friends to share a pot of stew with! Went back to the station and grabbed my dinner at AK Foodhall! Plenty of choices there!

Suwon is definitely one of those places I hope to return to if I get the chance (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib