Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Other than enjoying the good life staying with my host family, I also chose to live independently in a one room. One room, as its name says, is basically an one room apartment. Many college students studying for the university entrance exam, or undergraduates stay in this type of apartment that is abundant near the university vicinity.

Neighbourhood near Seoul National University
 Building I stayed at
I stayed at an apartment introduced by my friend as she stayed there during her previous stay in Korea. It's about 15 mins walk to SNU, and there's lots of cheap eating places and cafes around the area.

The monthly rent was 450,000krw for my room. Usually a security deposit of about 2-3 months is required, but you can try to negotiate with your landlord. Electricity and water bills are separate and it costs about 15,000krw for electricity bills from Jun to Aug. My landlord doesn't charge for water bills (:

Before

After
Sliding door with the Shinhwa poster given by my friend, and currently in my other friend's apartment 

What I really liked about the apartment was this sliding door that separates the kitchen from the bedroom/study area. I have a sensitive nose so a room without a sliding room means I would have only boiled or steamed my meals.
There's also a good size fridge and washing machine in the kitchen.
My door with my favourite Super Junior and random food flyers and magnets

Another similar type of apartment is called the goshiwon 고시원, which is smaller than a oneroom as there is usually no private kitchen or laundry facilities.

Staying on your own definitely has its pros and cons. You get all the freedom you want to do anything, but you have to do everything yourself! And I really loved decorating my room though I was glad I had my good friend around to stop me from senseless purchases! I spent a total of 220,000krw on household items and supplies. 

As for groceries, I had my breakfast and dinner mostly at home, and spend about 350,000krw for 2 months, mainly on fresh vegetables, fruits and chicken. I'm a person with boring tastebuds and lousy cooking skills, hence my menu consisted of my favourite foods that's easy to cook. 

And of course, the occasional extra effort put into preparing dinner. Definitely not done by me alone! I was merely the chef's assistant :D
My favourite breakfast
My boring fridge
Cabinet with dry goods
Frangcors Coffee, where I spent a lot of my time at
Other than my room where I spent most of my time, I also went to the cafes! There's also supermarkets selling daily necessities at cheaper prices than Lotte mart or emart, though selection is not great.
After the endless homeworks, preparation for classes and roleplays, I didn't want to waste the rest of my time. Since there's a stream of a pretty good length (about 5km) just 15 mins away from my apartment, I went running with my friend regularly in the evenings, until the typhoon season struck. I still remember once when we were drenched in the heavy rain along the stream. Totally helpless and hilarious at the same time.

Though short, it was an eventful 2 months, where I had time to reflect and learn new things about myself. Definitely a good experience and lots of fond memories created! 

14 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm from Venezuela. Thank you so much for this helpuf information you share with us. I'm going to study at SNU LEI, too. I don't like Goshiwons at all. So, I'm looking for One Room/Studio Apartment as you show on pics. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Reasonable price, well located and nice looking. Would you kindly tell me right address and the email address, phone number to contact the landlord? This is mine: vanessa8_93@hotmail.com and vanessa.sanchezg8@gmail.com Hope your answer soon. Hope your answer soon. Thanks beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa, I've emailed you with the contacts :)

      Delete
  2. Hello! I don't know if you will still reply to this post. Thank you for the information about the one room. I'm currently looking for a place to stay near SNU and this looks like a good place to stay and the price is also reasonable. Like the previous commenter if possible may i know the name, building address and contact info of the landlord/landlady. This is my email rangerstarship@gmail.com. Thank you in advance hope to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, im studying in SNU next year. I am hoping that i could get the landlord contact from you too :) you can reach me at jolene_chaekyung@hotmail.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i am planning to study in SNU next year, may I have the contact of the landlord? It would be really helpful and meaningful to me. My email is mei.koo@hotmail.com :) hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I am going to study in SNU for summer course this June, may I have the contact of the landlord? I really appreciate your help. :D My email is 4xingmin@gmail.com. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there i dont know if you will get this but im also going to go to snu and would love the details of that place so I can also contact the landlord, thank you so much for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Let me know your email address and I'll send you the details. 😁

      Delete
  7. Hello, I am not sure if you will still reply to this post, but I am planning to study at SNU next year. If it is possible may I know the name and the building address and also the contact of the landlord. You may reach me at luckymaystar@googlemail.com. Is it also possible to ask you a couple of questions regarding your Korean language program in Korea? Thanks a lot for the information on the one room. Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib