Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Other than the tourist must-do activity of shopping in Myeongdong in Seoul, what else is there to do in Korea? Do you know that the public transport in Korea is really convenient and easy to use, especially the Seoul subway that connects Seoul with the surrounding cities? Even the buses are not hard to use since they announce major landmarks in English as well.

So, for your next trip to Korea, travel out of Myeongdong, and even out of Seoul! There's so much more to see and do!

Oh gosh I sound like an ambassador for Korea, but I'm just speaking as an avid fan of Korea and Korean culture (:
1. Shopping - Not just at Myeongdong
Firstly, shopping should not be restricted to Myeongdong! Well, if you don't have much time for shopping, then you should probably just visit Myeongdong, since it has almost everything popular in Korea that you might want to get. But if you have another day or so, I'll highly recommend the following places for more shopping!
  1. Express Bus Terminal Go-To Mall for clothes, shoes, accessories, household items such as cutlery, decorative items, and flowers!
  2. Bupyeong Underground Mall for clothes, shoes and accessories
  3. Hongdae for trendy fashion items
  4. Garosu-gil for local designer fashion items and cafe hopping!
  5. Edae for cheap clothes, shoes, accessories and skincare
  6. Namdaemun Traditional Market for wholesale products and food products, baby goods, clothes, shoes, bags, daily necessities, household goods, accessories, pet accessories, etc,
  7. Insadong for traditional folkcraft and souvenirs, and traditional Korean cuisine

What else can I do in Korea?
The answer is, lots of activities! I'm proud to say that I've done most of the touristy stuff (except eating live octopus), and probably travelled more than most locals (: There's so much to do there, it's the best place for a yearly pilgrimage for me!

2. Visit a coastal city
Being surrounded by waters back in Singapore, you kind of take it for granted and think nothing of the sea view. It's only when you are stuck somewhere landlocked that you realise why people actually make weekend trips JUST to be near the seas. I missed having seafood while I was in Seoul, especially fish! Sashimi (or 회 "hweh") is fresh and reasonably priced in coastal cities! The best I've tried is still in Busan, just next to Jagalchi Fish Market! 

Another city that I really loved is Tongyeong. The views are fabulous!

3. Relax at a Korean Spa / Sauna - Jjimjilbang
For the first timers to the popular Korean Jjimjilbang (찜질방 / 蒸氣房), the first step can be very daunting. Jjimjilbang are public bathhouses where showers and hot baths are gender-segregated, and facilities such as Korean traditional kilns, hot / cold rooms, games & tv rooms, restaurants are unisex. The thought of baring it all in front of strangers is a huge step to take for most of us, but once you cross that step, everything is worth it.

Read on for my guide to the Jjimjilbang experience.
 
4. Get lost in a mural village and selfie!
I've been to a few mural villages around Korea, but my favourite is Dongpirang in Tongyeong! The place is perched on a hill facing the port and the views are pretty! I especially love those 3D art murals, it's like going to Alive museum, but free!

5. Eat like a local - eat street food!
The joy of travelling is to sightsee and eat like a local!! Street stalls are popular in Korea and regardless of season, you will definitely see crowds around these stalls. When I travel alone around Seoul, I like to hop from stall to stall, eating random snacks until I'm full!


Kdrama is one of my motivation to travel around Korea! I mean, without these shows, I would not have known that some of the places even existed! Filming sets are particularly interesting, because you can play with the props!! 

7. Museum / Palace / Cafe hopping
There are so many museums in Korea, I have not finished visiting every museum on my to-go list! Entrance fees to the museums are usually cheap, or entrance is free! Museum trips are especially great on rainy days, where you can take your time to browse through the exhibits. 

So if you are bored of looking at palaces, museum hop!

And if you like to chill, cafe hop! Koreans are such coffee lovers that you can find cafes at every street, be it a huge cafe joint for you to chill, or just a small window cafe counter selling takeaways only. My usual itineraries do not allow for much time in cafes, since I prefer a fun-filled and tiring schedule. Plus, I can't drink coffee, so I'm always on a lookout for non-coffee lattes! Some of my recommendations - blueberry latte, sweet potato latte (goguma latte) and red bean latte (pat latte)!

8. Hiking
Hiking is the national activity in Korea, just like queuing is in Singapore. The few times I hiked, I've never fail to be overtaken by the super healthy and fit Korean uncles, aunties, grandpas and grandmas! Sometimes they stare at my outfit (we were in jeans once), most of the time they just tell me to get out of their way. Haha!! Still, I love the views at the top! 

9. Day trips out of Seoul
Day trips are so enjoyable, I lost count how many of those I went on. Some places are conveniently located on the Seoul subway line! If you only have half a day, visit Suwon, Incheon or Bucheon! They're all on the Seoul subway line.

10. Watch a live performance
Last but not least (unfortunately, one of the most expensive), watch a live performance, be it a music show, concert or musical!
For the k-pop fan, watching a live music show is one of the most fun and tiring experiences you can ever get. I still remember the torture I went through to watch Shinhwa's comeback in 2013. No regrets, but never again. Old already cannot do this anymore!!

There's soooo much to do in Korea. Don't wait anymore, it's time to book your next holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib